4.12.08

Apres pork, cucumber salad


After making Hollowlegs' Braised Pork Belly & Cucumber Salad recipe, which I wrote about in my previous post, I made this cucumber salad.

My version of the salad ended up fiery hot because of the amount of pepper I added and because I had a smallish cucumber.

However, it was still tasty and I enjoyed the hot-and-sour zing to it.

I made a bit of a mistake when I was buying the ingredients for the salad so I didn't have rice vinegar, yellow bean paste or Sichuan pepper. I used Shaoxing rice wine and Chinese five spice as substitutes.

I would definitely make it again, but use either a bigger cucumber or half the amount of pepper.

I ate it with the pork leftovers.

2 comments:

Wulf said...

That looks tasty. It seems a bit like one from a favourite Polish restaurant on the Queensway called the Izba. Theirs is simply sliced cucumber, a very vinegary vinaigrettes (maybe just vinegar and salt), a bit of chopped parsley and a healthy sprinkling of paprika. Irresistible.

Unknown said...

Hi Julie! I know this is an old post, but I just looked at your blog today. Did you get the Sichaun peppers? They are amazing and very distinct in flavour. I've had this salad before (Chinese Traditional Bun on Dundas near Augusta in Toronto makes a great one!) and I love it! Yum!