28.12.06

Mysterious Cornish mini-mountain



This is a view of St Michael's Mount, a 12th Century castle in Cornwall near Penzance.





At low tide people walk across to the island from the village of Marazion on a causeway, but at high tide they go by boat.



The day I took the boat across with my cousins in October the water was very rough and I thought I would vomit from seasickness.



The vistas of the wild Cornish sea and craggy cliffs from the mount are spectacular.



From some of the castle windows the view is only of the sea.



On the way up the mountain there is a giant's heart in the path.



What castle would be complete without a small mummified cat among its many treasures?




The trip back to the mainland was much better because I sat near the captain in the open air instead of under the plastic cover.

No comments: