31.12.06

U.S. poutine dreams pierced


It began as a year of great promise for poutine.

Early in 2006, it seemed as if nothing—not even the North American Free Trade Agreement—would stand in the way of one man’s solitary battle to introduce Canadian poutine to the United States.


But as time passed, the dream of a licensed Birds 'n' Curds chain was shattered as riots erupted in protest against the restaurant in the upscale neighbourhood of Georgetown in Washington, D.C.

In September, my entrepreneurial friend confessed he was running into problems.

"There is a strong anti-Canadian undercurrent in leafy Georgetown," he said.

"They won't let me bring in Canadian chefs, who are the only ones who can do poutine the right way, and anti-Canadian groups are threatening to burn the place down if I go ahead with the opening. Frankly, I never realized how deeply unpopular Canadians were here."

The first Birds 'n' Curds restaurant was to open in the former Riggs Bank at the intersection of Wisconsin and M Streets in the heart of the Georgetown shopping area.

ORIGINS OF POUTINE

Poutine is a popular French-Canadian dish made of French fries, cheese curds and gravy.

The creator of the dish, which is sold in pubs and restaurants in eastern parts of Canada, Fernand Lachance (pictured below), died in 2004 at the age of 86 in Warwick, Quebec, a small town 138 kilometres (86 miles) northeast of Montreal.


Legend has it that Lachance first made poutine after a trucker came into his restaurant in September 1957 asking for a mixture of cheese curds, fries and gravy.

Poutine is also said to have evolved from pudding recipes of the French-speaking Acadians of Atlantic Canada.


Cheese curds are small, rubbery pieces of fresh cheddar that have not yet been pressed or aged. Poutine is French-Canadian slang for the word “mess.”

EARLY DAYS

The summer began on a high note for the Birds 'n' Curds project, with an elite crew of Georgetown residents gathering at the restaurant while it was still under construction to sip on poutinis—vodka and potato schnapps cocktails with cheese curds floating in them.


"Man, I got so hammered on poutinis last night . . . I hope I NEVER see any more beef vodka!" one resident proclaimed.

"Of course, I must say, poutinis rarely make people sick -- that's because the grease content of the gravy schnapps is so high that it coats your stomach, limiting the damage the alcohol can do."

GEORGETOWN RIOTS

Insurance companies have since frozen out the Birds 'n' Curds project. My friend speculates that they are afraid of taking a loss after the Georgetown riots revealed a strong anti-Canadian sentiment in Washington.

"The [renovation] work really slowed down when the anti-Canadian riots started," my friend said. “It's getting really ugly. Two nights ago, a big [red] maple leaf was painted on the door of my Georgetown home."


"It's kind of a stalemate," he said. "I remain stunned at the depth of feeling against that kind of food. On the positive side, I'm pleased with the interest and creativity sparked by the poutini recipes. I think that may be the best thing to come out of this."

He said he's not sure if he will produce Wisconsin-style cheese curd dishes instead.


"It's a question of whether I want to sell out a whole culture for a few dollars," he explained.

"I'm the one who wants to open a Canadian restaurant, and I've said openly that I thought Canadians aren't as bad as everybody thinks. That's just the kind of open-minded guy I am."

He says he hopes his work leads to a Nobel Peace Prize ~

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

o my. this is devastating news. i well remember the crankiness of georgetown residents as evidenced by the frequent articles in the community rag decrying the horrors of crabgrass growing between the bricks of the quaint-but-ankle-wrenching g'town sidewalks or the indignities of the appearance of pink plastic flamingoes beside front walks. the only surprise is that they can lift their heads out of their own backyard long enough to even notice canadians. good luck on the npp!

pq

Anonymous said...

Poutine Queen makes some good points. As a resident of Leafy Georgetown, I suspect this restaurant was seen as the start of something. One minute we're eating poutine, the next minute we're watching Canadian television and listening to Canadian pop music, and the next thing you know, you visit the ATM and it asks if you want to proceed in English or Canadian...

Just the Goods said...

OMG! I can't tell if this is real, or particularly brilliant satire!!

To tell you the truth, I've never eaten poutine. I'm allergic to milk (hence my aversion to cheese and gravy), but even before my allergy reared its head, it had never occurred to me that I wanted to dig into some. Hmmm. Considering the hot politics of it all, maybe I'm missing out on an important opportunity to flaunt my canuck pride? ;-)

Anonymous said...

But would there be an ATM in the building if Riggs became a poutine joint?

Anonymous said...

Milena, You can show your Canadian-ness by eating poutine without milk. Bastardized variations on the dish allow for fries drenched in meat sauce and tomato sauce, known as “Italian poutine," or meat and barbecue sauce, known as "Chinese poutine."

Anonymous said...

As Poutine Chef says, there are lots and lots of varieties. I've made so many different versions of this dish. Don't forget the one where you puree the poutine in a blender to make soup out of it - known as Tureen Poutine. It's fantastic, hot or cold.
Amateur Cook

Anonymous said...

Man, have I got a story to share with you guys. This past weekend me and some pals went to Stell's Diner for plates of poutine.We were drinking brews and didn't notice anything was wrong. Then we went back to one guy's house and suddenly we were hit with mega food poisoning. We were making so many trips we started calling it the Poutine Latrine.

Anonymous said...

You sure it wasn't just bad beer?

Amateur Cook

Bulent Akman said...

Great article and great supporting photography, your talent is wasted in journalism Julie, I think you've got the skills to be a publisher. If you ever publish a magaizine I will buy a subscription.

p.s. I have dreamt of poutine many times since I left Canada, I can always make it at home but it's not the same as Harvey's poutine or even New York Fries poutine (available in Canada, not sure about NYC)