9.3.08

Magnifying Darwin


I went to the opening of the Darwin exhibit at the Royal Ontario Museum last week. It is titled, "Darwin: The Evolution Revolution".

The exhibit examines personal aspects of Darwin's life as well as focusing on his discoveries about evolution.

There was a large magnifying glass in the children's play area. The enlarged images of the objects put under it were projected on a screen on the wall.

I spent quite a bit of time observing different objects being magnified and taking pictures.








From time-to-time photos flashed up on the screen.



There were two live tortoises in a display case. They aren't the kind Darwin observed in the Galapagos, but they are quite big. It didn't look as though they were having much fun. People kept tapping on the glass to get their attention. It worked, but in general I found they were quite alert to their surroundings and any new presence nearby.


This tortoise in the picture below looked up to see what I was doing. I didn't tap at him or try and get his attention. The tortoises spent a lot of time hiding their faces toward the rocks. It seemed quite bright inside the contained area.


This is a stuffed tortoise--I think. I forgot to read the label.

No comments: