29.11.10

November night-walk along the Thames


This evening I was chastised by the woman in the charity shop on Lower Marsh for dropping things off on a Monday. As if I should know this is against the rules.

I pointed out one of my curtains from Toronto covering a chair in the shop, feeling somewhat nostalgic.

After that, she relented and took my offering, which included a scarf with an emblem representing one of the city wards of the Palio horse race in Siena.

I bought it there a long time ago, but I've never liked it since.

After that, I walked to the Thames. The tide was in so there was no chance of beachcombing along the shore.

Instead, I walked from Westminster Bridge with the North wind biting at the back of my neck to Vauxhall, and stood where the first bridge was built across the water 3,000 years ago.

Further along, I lost track of the river at Wandsworth and New Covent Garden Flower Market so returned, walking beyond where I began to Blackfriars. There was a sharp gale blowing first at my face and then against my cheek as I followed the winding path beside the river.

A man was playing banjo in the cold and I gave him a pound, the usual folk singer and guitarist was not out tonight. I hope only due to the cold.

Listen!

No comments: