30.8.11

Visit to Stockholm


I was sent to Stockholm to cover World Water Week for work. It was a fantastic visit. I had never been to Scandinavia before, but had always wanted to go. I was very curious.

On the flight to Stockholm from London I was seated next to a Danish man who lives in England.

Coincidentally, he had attended University of Toronto (where I also studied) as an engineering student and had lived on the same street as my parents, so we found we had a lot to talk about.

He kindly drove me to Gamla Stan in his rental car after we arrived in Stockholm and I treated him to a Swedish supper at Restaurant CC, on Skraddargrand in Gamla Stan.


We each had a grilled shrimp appetizer, he had meatballs and I had salmon as a main dish.

Over a four-day period, I conducted about 20 interviews from which I produced 15 videos and several stories. I also met and spoke with many people among the 2,600 at the event, which was held at the Stockholmsmassan convention centre in Alvsjo.


I took a bit of time to hang out with the folks at the WaterCube.tv booth, which was definitely a highlight. WaterCube.tv is sort of like an online speakers' corner, where interviews with delegates are edited and then published online. Fortunately, the two video interviews they did with me do not seem to have made it to the web.


On the first night of the convention a buffet was held at the City Hall, which is where the Nobel awards ceremony is held each year (all except the peace prize, which is awarded in Oslo). It is a spectacular building and a sumptuous Swedish feast was laid out in the Blue and Golden Halls.


I had a bit of almost everything: poached salmon, marinated salmon, potatoes, salad.


I also had a glass of wine, which in my state of fatigue was a bit of a mistake because I was somewhat delirious afterwards and had to crash when I got back to the hotel.


I also made time to wander about in Gamla Stan, the beautiful old part of Stockholm, near my hotel, the First Hotel Riesen.


On my final morning there, I went on a tour around the archepelago that makes up the area. It was a disappointing tour because I had no idea where we were, but quite beautiful scenery. I also took a look in the museum, the palace and the cathedral.


I found Stockholm residents to be very attractive, helpful and friendly.



2 comments:

twunnytwunny said...

Sounds like an amazing time, Julie. Nice pics, too.

Dora Maus said...

Thanks David...It was