31.12.10

Be it resolved I will not make resolutions

I don't make New Year's resolutions, so for 2011, my resolution is to continue not to make resolutions.

But in 2011, there are a few things I will try and continue to adhere to anyway.

2011 will be my third year living in the UK as an adult. Including the three years I lived there as a child, that makes six altogether.

After I moved to the UK in 2008 from Toronto, I faced a real conundrum. There are so many places, spaces, plays and exhibitions to see, that I at times felt overwhelmed by the options -- torn between doing domestic daily routine chores, or going out to explore.

It may sound odd, but I came up with guidelines for myself, so I would not miss out on opportunities to see and do new things, but at the same time not do things at a frenetic pace. I decided I would do one new thing a week, see one play and watch four films a month, either at the cinema or on DVD.

I launched this plan in February 2009, and it has gone quite well, although my theatre-going dropped off in the second half of 2010 due to out of town visitors and travel.

I think I will continue to keep these as goals for this year but I would also like to read more novels, do more crafts and find out a lot more about the River Thames.

I am heading towards 2011 feeling a bit tired but refreshed after three weeks of holiday and another one ahead.

I started a new job at the Thomson Reuters Foundation as production editor in September after almost six years working as an editor and producer with the Reuters consumer websites in Toronto and London.

Working on the AlertNet and TrustLaw websites is proving to be both challenging and interesting.

So I am looking forward to 2011 providing a lot of new fulfilling opportunities at work and in terms of travel and exploration in the UK.

No comments: